Thursday, May 2, 2013

Amber Road Cafe, Canton, MA

So a couple weeks ago, I had visited the Amber Road Cafe in Canton, MA. It is a coffee shop/brunch restaurant located around the downtown area, and is, interestingly, on the way to a Starbucks down the road. It's been around for about 4 years now.  I visited on a Sunday, circa noon-time. Usually they are open from 7:00 AM till 2:00 PM most days, sans Mondays. The crowd at the time looked primarily older adult, no one really looked like they were in college. Nevertheless, it was interesting going to check it out considering I must have passed it numerous times but never recognized it.
The time I went was super busy; I had to wait 10-15 minutes before I could be seated at the "bar" area (for lack of a better term). Once I got in, I immediately went to the bar area and ordered some coffee for there. I had noticed that they had some specialty drinks including something called "Tiramasu Iced Coffee", or something like that. They also had a breakfast and lunch menu with plenty of food.
However, I was more interested in just having the regular coffee, considering that I had been learning about coffee. No frills or anything, just coffee. They also have lattes, cappuccinos, and espresso, as well as a few specialty drinks as aforementioned. When I asked about its origins, they said it was Columbian coffee, and that they get the coffee from a supplier called "Raos", which, after doing some research later, is a single-origin coffee distributer that mainly ships around the Boston area but also some other general areas. No info on their site about fair-trade coffee...hmm...
At any rate, whilst consuming my coffee, I was met with a strong bitter taste in my mouth, that wasn't quelled until I put in numerous sugar packets into my coffee (I like my coffee sweetened). Perhaps I've been spoiled by the coffee present in my coffee class...I feel like I have slowly developed into a coffee snob, hahaha. Or maybe I just happened to have been stuck with a bad batch. Truthfully speaking, I don't know. It was fairly busy then and at least one person thought it was strange that I was taking a class about coffee. No lie! The atmosphere wasn't overwhelming, which was nice, though the overall busy-ness made it difficult for me to ask very much.

Here is a picture of the outside (image from hiddenboston.com)


 I was allowed to take pictures there, but considering how busy it was, and that I didn't bring a good camera (only my cell phone camera) I didn't get many good pics of the place.
But I will definitely try it again. I don't think I've made my mind up about this place! Maybe I'll try that Tiramasu coffee...stay for breakfast or lunch...I dunno. Fortunately for me, it is only a short drive from where I live, so geography isn't an issue.

For those who are interested, here is a map of its location:


View Larger Map



View Larger Map

It's address is 635 Washington Street, Canton, MA, for the record. In addition,  the map above shows the path to the Starbucks down the road, for the sake of comparison.
-JP Burega


No comments:

Post a Comment