Monday, April 22, 2024

Riverview Terrace Cafe - Wisconsin

 A Coffee Maven Aspiration

I plan to visit this café the next time I am in Wisconsin, where we visit family members every few years. This will definitely be a case of being drawn to a café by something other than the coffee. In this case, it is the building itself that will cause me to badger (pun intended) my relatives to take a five-hour round-trip drive from their Appleton homes to the Riverview Terrace Cafe.

 

I learned of this cafe from an architectural site that mentions it as the only restaurant designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It is operated as a restaurant with "cafe" in the title, and is open only seasonally and only at lunch time. So its inclusion on a cafe site is perhaps not fully justified, but it the historic significance is too great not to take a chance on the coffee here.

I am not really a student of Wright's work -- I have been on a tour of just one of his buildings so far. But it was thrilling and I learned things that I can se even in this overview photograph. Look for a full report the next time I am in Wisconsin! 

Rather than the usual map depicting nearby chain coffee providers, I am showing its location in relation to our home away from home in Wisconsin, where my spouse's cool cousins live. When we make that trip, we might just need to stay at Aunt Margaret's Cabin. She is not our aunt; rather she was Frank Lloyd Wright's aunt, and he built her a cabin scarcely a mile to the southwest of this restaurant. And yes, it can be rented by the day!


Lagniappe: Careful readers will notice that this is close to Mt. Horeb, which was once home to the Mt. Horeb Mustard Museum. Alas! That has been renamed and moved to Madison. 

No comments:

Post a Comment