Monday, July 23, 2018

Rogue Coffee

A Coffee Maven Review

Coffee has made me a morning person ... and not the kind who cannot function before coffee: it is the opposite of that. At home, I get up first and make the coffee. As those who know me might imagine, it is a process.

When we travel, it is my job to find some alternative to hotel coffee, which is almost universally undrinkable. We call it "foraging" but it really is an internet-enhanced activity. During a recent stay at a lovely hotel by the harbor in St. John's -- where we liked the wine but did not sample the coffee -- our strollings about and my online research led to quite a few options.

Among three strong contenders, I had convinced myself that Rogue Coffee would be the best. I set out to what I thought was the correct location along a steep, narrow side street, but somehow I could not find it. I was almost ready to go to my second choice (yes, I had a ranked list in mind), but I could smell really good coffee, as if it were coming from one of the closed-up clothing stores nearby. I was confused as I worked my way back down the hill.

Glancing in an alley I had somehow missed, I noticed some party lights a hundred yards or so away. As I got closer, I realized that this was Rogue Coffee!


I learned something new about my favorite brewer -- I always associate the Chemex with Springfield, Massachusetts, but it was really born in New York City -- and had a nice chat with the owner. She is passionate about good coffee. I was able to take a couple of delicious cupfuls back to our hotel, and feel good about supporting the farmers in the process.

Downtown St. John's has a lot of decent coffee shops; I am pretty confident that I found the best one.

In a neighborhood full of food and beverage options, this is a gem!

No comments:

Post a Comment