Monday, July 23, 2018

Fancy Pants

A Coffee Maven Review

During our long-awaited visit to Bridgewater, Nova Scotia (for our Bridgewaters Project), we explored lunch and dinner places, and found a pub we very much enjoyed, because of its friendly staff and its large deck overlooking the LaHave River.

But very much out of character -- and in contrast to my approach in St. John's immediately prior -- I did not seek coffee places. This is because we were in a bed & breakfast -- River Reflections -- with absolutely amazing breakfast food and quite respectable coffee.

It was not until our last morning -- faced with a long ride to Cape Breton -- that I sought an after-breakfast coffee. Translation for those who are innocent of my Coffee Maven ways: an after-coffee coffee. 

We had noticed Fancy Pants almost directly across the street from that pub, and I decided it would be our last stop on the way out of town.

I should stop here to introduce a finding -- more of a bald assertion -- based on my extensive field research over the past decade. It is summarized in the following Venn Diagram, which has been on my mind for many months, but which I finally got around to creating for you, Dear Reader.

As mentioned above, I stopped at Fancy Pants after a scrumptious breakfast, so I was not in a position formally to test my hunch that this might very well be one of those rare places that is both great for coffee and great for breakfast. I can verify the coffee directly - it was delicious, and the employees knew something about it. The breakfast I can infer only from the general atmosphere, the signage about local and organic ingredients, and a very important clue: indispensable cast-iron skillets on the stovetop.

So in our last few minutes in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, Fancy Pants gave us yet another reason to return some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment